Saturday, December 13, 2008

A major set back

Well, after a week and a half in the hospital 3 hours away from home with neutropenic fever, and trying to collect stem cells, I am home. Fever was taken care of by the Vancomycin, but unfortunantly, I was not able to collect any stem cells. = ( I have the option of trying AMD3100 to try and collect, but my doctors are worried that putting unhealthy stem cells back in my body would just be setting me up for a relapse. So, what now? A fully myleoablative Allogeneic transplant with my sister being the donor. Shes a 10/10 match if you remember. I had so much Neupogen that I was thrown in to what is called Sweet's Syndrome. Believe me, its not sweet. You break out in to a huge rash that looks like chicken pox. They say my cure rate is even better with a matched sibling donor, and thats what we are looking for right now is cure. So, I get 2 weeks off, then back to Nashville to start the work up for an Allo. Im so upset I couldnt collect my own cells, but if they arent working, I sure dont want them back in my body. Thanks every one for the prayers and thoughts, Ive been really upset lately and down in the dumps about the lastest complications. Any info on Allos would be greatly appreciated. I think Im still in remission, but we'll find out after Christmas.

2 comments:

Duane said...

Hi Kara. I just found your blog on the Hodge Web Magic Forum. I had a non-myeloablative allo about 16 months ago. So far, so good. A little GVHD, but nothing too serious. I can recommend some helpful sources if you're interested. Just email me.

Wishing you the very best as you prepare for transplantation!

Unknown said...

Hi, Kara. I found your blog through another blog, Journey of a Prizefighter. My wife was diagnosed with Leukemia on her 30th birthday. Her leukemia was aggressive and one month later she received a bone marrow transplant from her sister. She had some GVHD and some challenges, but I'm happy to report that she's now NINE years post transplant and has never relapsed. So I know you're going through some tough times but keep reminding yourself that there are success stories out there. Best of luck with your transplant an ongoing recovery. You will be in my thoughts.