Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Visit to Vandy

Well, first off I just want to tell everyone my PET/CT scan was NEGATIVE for all signs of cancer! YES! Going in to transplant in remission greatly increases your chances of cure. Anyways, me and my mom hopped in the car and had the whole 2 day test fest, where they check just about every organ in your body to make sure its in good shape for transplant. So far, everything looks OK, my bone marrow still hasnt recovered for the Cytoxan I had 6 weeks ago, so we know now that my bone marrow has been permanently damaged.. so out with the old and in with the new! My sister Katina met us in Nashville for her donor workup, and of course she is healthy.

The information I received about the Allo transplant was alot to swallow in one sitting, talking about a 20-30% chance of dying before day 100 following transplant, and your chances of recovering if you were placed in ICU (very slim), and of course talking about all of the chemo side effects and things that could happen, kidney failure, resp. failure, liver failure, and of course talking about and signing a living will. NOT something I want to think about.

So, January 5th is the day I go in for preadmission, just the check up before my admit, the January 6th, I have my port a cath removed because it doesnt work and is a risk for infection, and then January 7th, I start chemo. So its all coming up very fast.

For my sister Katinas account, jump on over to her blog at the right, the Whitworth family blog. Thats all for now!

3 comments:

Ann said...

The doctor's have to tell you about all the scary things that "could" happen. It doesn't mean that they will. I agree that the whole process can be overwhelming, but you can do it. There are so many people following and pulling for you.

katmm said...

Hi Kara,
It's so scary to hear all the stuff that can happen. Now you know.

What you also need to remember is that you have many things on your side that decrease the risks - you are young and otherwise healthy, you have the best match possible, you are in remission (yeah for that!) and you are heading into the transplant with a great attitude.

I know you can do this!

Will you have internet access in the hospital? Just want to make sure we can keep in touch.

Cheers,
Kathy

nicole_rc said...

Kara how are you?? I was on the LLS board and looked at your post.. You should have just began your transplant. nicole
www.caringbridge.org/visit/welovebev